Friday, February 6, 2009

Committing.....

I have been suffering from an extreme case of travel withdrawal for some time now. In the past, when I worked  as a prosecutor, I was able to travel sometimes up to 4 weeks a year all on the government dime. Since going into private practice I have tried to keep up the same pace. But it's a challenge. Leaving for distant places now means going on my dime. It's a sacrifice. 

My wife and I have travelled quite a bit as a couple for the first 4 years of our relationship. Sadly I am going to be doing this one alone for now. I have been given the spousal blessing to make this next and overdue adventure to Egypt, with a layover in Paris on my own. Her work won't allow for much time off. 

It's been a long time since I travelled solo and I don't know how I am going to react. Ill miss my wife for sure and probably will cry like a baby in my hotel room at night, while blogging and emailing away. 

Now I start my process which, in reality began months ago.  I am a voracious reader and researcher when it comes to planning these trips. I try to get my hands on the best guide books for starters. I am more of a Frommers than a Lonely Planet guy. This is usually where I start reading. Depending on where I am going I always like to double source things before committing to them.  So I might also grab Fodors or a DK travel book. I think Frommers and the net should get me through this trip. There's plenty of information on Egypt all over the web. 

Booking my flight always begins with Sidestep.com which is not a slave to the corporate hotel chains and large air carriers. This website truly will find you the best fare and has far more airlines that can be found there. Expedia is a con. Never book on Expedia or Travelocity. But do use them for research only. 

Ill use Expedia for researching accommodations as well. But my go to site for lodging is always tripadvisor.com. This is more of a reviewing site, but all the reviews come from travellers so there is no bias. If my Hotel or B and B has had bad reviews on TA I never book it. Never. 

So today I committed to Egypt. The travel industry is hurting as well so prices are down. I will be able to do business class through to Paris with a savings of a couple thousand dollars. Today I bought my ticket, using the airlines web site, and locked in two weeks in Egypt, with a couple days in Paris coming back. More to come.....Lots of reading to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment